Sunday, May 15, 2011

Recipe: Omelette with pork & vege stir fry...

I may or may not have mentioned previously that we are on a mega tight budget at the moment, so we're going hard with menu planning and not wasting anything!

I am also trying to be pretty healthy at the moment... I really need to shift some weight.  I absolutely love stir fries.. but Boofy is not so keen!  I decided that once in a blue moon, he could suck it up and deal with it!  Lol...

So one of the meals on our menu planner this week was Omelette with pork and vege stir fry.  Pork fillet goes a long way in stir fries, you really don't need very much at all... which makes it very economical.  Here is the recipe I used... even though it is not much of a recipe since I used a pre-prepared sauce I already had in the pantry (waste not, want not!!)  But had I not had this sauce on hand, I would have added fresh garlic, fresh ginger and oyster sauce to this recipe.  So here it is...

Ingredients
Small amount of pork fillet (I used 280 grams) trimmed of all fat
2 carrots, julienned finely
300g Mushrooms
2 sticks celery, sliced
1 bunch pak choy (stalks sliced, leaves chopped large)
1 bag bean shoots
1 onion sliced
1 small bunch coriander, roughly chopped
1 Coles Chinese Beef Stir Fry recipe base
1 tbspn canola oil
Few splashes sesame oil
2 eggs, beaten together

I like to separate the ingredients so I can add them bit by bit... sometimes I do it into separate bowls, but one big platter is easier to wash than a thousand bowls, if you have one!  Here is what everything looked like prepped and ready to cook:



















Method
Heat oil in a non stick pan, fry onions.  When translucent, add pork and toss around in pan until almost cooked.  Add carrots, keep tossing around.  Add recipe base and mix through well.  Add mushrooms, stir until starting to cook.  Add celery, then pak choy stalks, toss around.

In another non-stick pan, spray with non cook sticking spray.  Drizzle egg with fingers over the pan in a criss cross motion (you don' want it to be a solid omelette).  When almost cooked, flip to get a bit of colour on the other side.  Take out of pan and put on plate.  Repeat for 2nd omelette (note: you can't really tell in my photos - mine were criss cross not solid, although a little thicker than I would have liked... hopefully yours will be more delicate!)

Add pak choy leaves and bean shoots to stir fry pan - toss around.  When they are starting to wilt, throw in coriander, give it a good stir around, then serve.




This made enough for us to have a big meal with the omelette.  Plus left overs to have (with a bit of boiled rice) for another meal.

Hope you enjoy it if you try it.  You may not like that much coriander - I'm a bit of fiend!!

Bye for now :)

No comments:

Post a Comment