Well I know I said that we were going to do something with our newly painted corner this weekend, but unfortunately, the worst cough I've had in 3 years has put a stop to all that for this weekend. We're just going to have to try again another weekend :(
However - there is something I did on my holidays recently that I haven't shared yet. I've had a sewing machine for ages, but I've never been a particularly good sewer. I've been seeing projects in blogland that really don't look too hard... so I thought I would tackle one. I know its small, so if you're a competent seamstress, please don't laugh! But I'm pretty pleased with the results.
This one was a pencil roll... Alex is starting to be invited to kids parties left and right, so I thought this would be a nice handmade type thing he could give the birthday girl/ boy (with a fun activity book or something to go with it).
Sorry I didn't take any photos of the process... but I didn't use any tutorials for this, I just did it myself. And if I can figure it out, trust me, anyone can!!!
But in the way of a basic explanation...
:: I cut the two pieces of fabric for the front and back
:: On one I pinned a folded over piece of contrasting fabric (to the right side of the fabric) so it covered half
:: Then I just sewed lines (I did one down the centre and worked my way out on either side) the full length of the fabric
:: I trimmed off all the excess threads
:: I cut a piece of interfacing that was 1cm smaller than the fabric on all sides
:: I took the piece of fabric without the stitched pockets and put the interfacing on the wrong side of the fabric, then I folded 1cm seams on each side and ironed it all down
:: I also folded 1cm seams on each side of the pocket sewed fabric and ironed them down
:: I cut a small piece of elastic and made a loop
:: I pinned the two pieces of fabric together (wrong sides together) and slipped in the elastic so the loop was poking out and pinned that too
:: I sewed all the way around, reversing and sewing over the elastic part several times.
:: I rolled it up and made a mark where the button should go to fit in the loop
:: I sewed on the button
:: I put the pencils in it!
I know it sounds like a lot of steps, but it wasn't hard at all. The first one took me ages, with very wonky lines! But then the second time I did two at once and it was much quicker (and lines were straighter when I sewed the centre line and used that as a guide). It seems I still have a problem cutting things out in straight lines (too impatient) which was always my problem with sewing!
Anyway, without further ado, here is the completed article:
This one actually went to a little boy this weekend... Alex attended his first McDonalds party, he was very excited. I was all set to go and check out what Maccas parties look like in 2011 (having not experienced one since I was 8!) but unfortunately my rotten cough kept me away... I didn't think I'd be too popular in a children's restaurant with a raging cough, lol. Fortunately my good friend Julie was taking her kids too and offered to take Alex with them, so he didn't miss out on the fun! (I did though)...
Hope you've enjoyed my little venture into sewing. I think I have mentioned before that one of my new years resolutions was to make as many presents as possible this year - I haven't done so well with this one so far, but I'm making a concerted effort to change that... so hopefully you'll see a few more little treasures before the year is out!
Bye for now :)