Friday, October 7, 2011

Friday :: Things I Know...

I mentioned in my most recent post that Boofy and I are thinking of selling our house and buying another one. The property market is extremely bad here at the moment, so selling will be hard (since we bought in a better market and made a lot of improvements, so we won't get the price we feel it deserves). But its also true that you buy in the same market you sell in - so there is an opportunity to buy something that suits us better into the future, and be able to reduce our mortgage (which is always nice!)


In any case, I thought I would link up today to the Yay For Home  Friday segment, 'Things I Know'  to tell you all about the things I know about our current dilemma on whether or not to sell up and buy somewhere else….

So today I know that:

:: The next house will have to be very special indeed in order for me to be able to drag my husband (kicking and screaming) from this house.... he loves it more than life itself!

:: I will miss our swimming pool - a salt water pool with palms around it is as close to a maintenance free pool as you can get!

:: The next house needs to have some of the hard work (eg: kitchen, bathrooms) pretty well done - we are not ready for another major overhaul yet!

:: I am a gypsy at heart and it is incredibly hard for me to stay in one place for too long… so I am way more excited about this prospect than Boofy!

:: If I convince Boofy to move, I need to be happy about putting my gypsy leanings aside and stay in the next house for at least 5 years

:: It would be wonderful to start decorating all over again in a new place (the fun!)

:: We will never get as good a kitchen as the one we have put in this house (you can see the whole kitchen makeover here and here) since we designed it to be exactly what we wanted



:: If we move I will miss our current house MUCH more than I am probably admitting to myself….

:: If money were no object (or a certain amount anyway), I could definitely cast aside my gypsy urges, extend up on our current house and be happy there for the next 10 years (oh, if only!)

:: This post is all over the place (a reflection of my current state of mind!)

So there you go…. I am still no closer to deciding which way we should go. Boofy is firmly in the 'please can we stay put and enjoy the fruits of our labour' corner. I was firmly in the 'use the current downturn to buy something that suits us better long term and reduce our mortgage to boot' corner, but now I'm wavering…. What if we don't like the new place as much as we thought? What if the neighbours are total nightmares? What if we just plain regret letting go of our little slice of paradise? It's not easy to categorically reassure Boofy (or myself) that we're going to love the new place as much as this one. Boofy is also now well aware that I am flip flopping and is preying on my vulnerable state to try to sway me his way! (Don't think I don't know what you're doing, Boofy!)

Anyways, I think I'll use this weekend to get stuck into Photoshop Elements for Dummies and doctor up a pic of our current house with a big old parent's retreat on top of it… then make myself a dream board and slap that pic firmly in the centre! What is it Oprah says? Where focus goes, energy flows…. Who knows what sort of magic I could weave? ;)

I'll keep you posted!

Bye for now :)

http://yayforhome.blogspot.com/2011/10/things-i-know-roar-n-snore-edition.html


1 comment: