Saturday, June 9, 2012

Foodie Friday : Asparagus & Feta Frittata

Okay, I know it says Foodie Friday, and its now Saturday, but the first time I made this I forgot to take a picture of it cooked - so I needed to make it again last night to get the photo! :) 
Are you looking for something to cook this weekend?  Want something yummy and healthy that just cooks itself while you snuggle up nice and cosy with your book?  Well, this is it!  Recently I had the pleasure of making lunch for my Mum, Grandma and two of my Aunties – several of them are on wheat free/ gluten free diets at the moment, so this is perfect for that too!

Ingredients:

8 large eggs
Splash of milk
Big handful of low fat grated cheese
Half a block of Danish feta cheese, broken into small chunks
Large handful of sliced mushrooms
Small amount of shallots, green part only, chopped
Half bunch of continental parsley, coarsly chopped
1 bunch of asparagus – woody part discarded, sliced thinly on the diagonal
1 bunch of asparagus – cut to half the width of your quiche dish
Salt & pepper

Method:

In a large bowl, crack eggs and add milk – mix thoroughly with a whisk until well combined. 

Add grated cheese, mushrooms, sliced asparagus, shallots, feta sprinkle of salt and good amount of pepper to the bowl – give quick stir to combine.

Spray a quiche dish with non-stick cooking spray and empty contents of your bowl into the dish, spreading out the contents evenly. 

Arrange the long asparagus around the top of the dish so it looks something like this:



Bake in a 180 degree Celsius oven until a skewer comes out relatively clean and its nicely browned on top (about 40 mins).

Serve with whatever you like – we had it with a sweet potato and macadamia salad, and boiled potatoes with olive oil, vinegar, lemon and parsley.  (Note that I didn't follow the directions and had my oven too high for this one, hence it puffed up and my asparagus wheel broke apart!  But if you stick to the recipe, it should turn out beautifully... like my first one.... that I didn't photograph! d'oh!)




If you're not a fan of asparagus or feta, this is a really adaptable recipe too – you just throw in the eggs, milk and grated cheese with anything you like – I’ve made it lots of times with bacon, mushies and shallots, and also done different vegetables like sweet potato, zucchini and spinach.  You could also do tuna, peas and mint…. Possibilities are endless!  Let me know if you give it a try.

Bye for now :)

No comments:

Post a Comment