Monday, December 31, 2012

Sew sew sew...

Now that the silly season has passed, and the presents have all been ripped open, I can share a couple of things that I made for the gorgeous cherubs that we're so blessed to have in our lives.... nieces, nephews, good friends, and of course my boy Alex!  As well as a couple of household gems I whipped up....

One of my biggest projects was a princess and the pea I did for my niece and god daughter Ella...  She is such a beautiful girl, and I love her so much...  when I came upon this idea about a year ago, I just knew I had to do it!


I bought a bed some time ago from Ikea (which I unfortunately do not have a photo of) and bought the Princess and the Pea book from the Book Depository (which is the cheapest place in the world to get books by the way, absolutely awesome!!)

I then just cut a whole bunch of rectangles, put batting in between them and sewed them up as mattresses... and made a little round pea....


Ella loves ballet and I'm told she's fond of the colour yellow, so I made the princess's quilt and pillow from fabric with little ballet slippers all over it.  The princess herself is the Disney Belle princess (I ordered her from Target, and she conveniently came with sleepwear!)

One thing I really go into making this year was these little owl pillows.... I made 18 of them in fact!


They were more fiddly than they look and ended up taking me about an hour each to make....


But they were well received with all the kids - that's the important part :)



Even our niece and nephew who are 21 and 15 respectively ended up taking one home on a recent visit! You're never too old for a new cuddly!

And the last thing on my little Christmas list for the kids were Christmas t-shirts (or onesies for the bubs!)  I just bought some Christmassy fabric from Spotlight, and some good quality t-shirts from Target and got to work!  I ironed on some applique paper stuff (yes, totally the technical term for it!) and then cut out the patterns - some had a Christmas picture so I just cut around those and sewed them on...



Others were just Christmas print, and so I cut them in the shape of Christmas trees and sewed them on too...



I really loved how they turned out - I thought they were really cute, and just a little Christmassy something for the kids to wear :)

In between all this sewing of gifts, I did get a couple of cushions done too....  I bought this red fabric some time ago, and to be honest I cannot even remember where it came from (bummer, because I would really like to get some more!!)  But its a cute, bright, fun little burst, so I sewed it up to lift the corner where our little reading lounge is - before it was all blue and neutrals (sorry I don't have a before photo) but now with the addition of my little red cushions, and a green one I bought a while ago somewhere on sale (again no idea where!) I think its a really cute little area now - I did get a photo of the whole lounge but it was so bad I left it out and moved on (in the interests of actually publishing this post!)  But here is a closeup of one of the cushions....


Also our daybed out the back was looking a bit sad...



From afar its not that bad, but the cushions I had there had actually gone mouldy (eewwwww!) so sitting on them was a bit of a hazard.... again, a trip to Spotlight was in order!  They were having a 30% off fabrics sale, so Mum and I scoured the aisles for some nice brights.  We found a few we liked and headed to the checkout - one was originally $16.95/metre but was end of roll and just enough for one cushion - so the lady rang it up as a remnant for $2, score!  I just did simple envelope backs for these (which I love - no zippers or buttons!) and they turned out well too I think....




The body pillow behind is covered in some fabric I've had hanging out in my stash forever so no cost there - the new fabric cost me about $20 so I think its a pretty cheap little facelift!   Bit of an odd mix of colours for sure, but I love how happy they are :)



The cover on the main seat is looking a bit shabby against all this brightness now though.... so I might have to get onto that ;)

Sew there you go!  I can't wait to have a bit of time to sew again soon - my loungeroom is looking a bit boring now and needs more colour I think to lighten it up - and even moreso now that I have put all the Christmas decorations away.....  I really hate this time of year :(  The rooms always seem so bare and 'unfestive' when they're gone...  I'll have to have a think about what I could run up on the cheap to put a bit of sunshine back into the house.... hmmmmm...

Bye for now :)


No comments:

Post a Comment